SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

THE REVENGE OF THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
Part 3

Mr. Van Riemsdijk picked up his ciggie on the ground without taking his eyes off me. He was obviously startled, his face turned crimson. The Bangkok sun burned his face but wasn’t able to conceal it.

“Mr. Van Riemsdijk, do you remember me?” I said in French – the one language he refuse to use. I could tell he was trying his best to remember who I was. *I could feel my horns growing out my forehead already* “You old prick!” I said quietly waiting for him to remember me – he has to remember! Teachers never forget their pupils no matter how hard they try to.

“Mr. Van Riemsdijk…I will never speak to you in Dutch even if you hit me with that chair.” I told him in English. “Because I don’t speak Dutch! Do you remember me?!” I added, losing my patience.

Knut, Marithe and Jan came out of Starbucks and handed me my latte which I immediately gave to Mr. Van Riemsdijk. He took it. I gave him another ciggie. He took it too. Oh the poor man…I moved my chair across to him. We sat silently. I don’t know if he is who I think he is or he just really can’t remember.

Seems like he’s never going to say anything to me so I turned to Knut and asked if they’re okay because they’ve been giving me the looks why am I sitting with this dirty old bloke…and then I heard…

“You are the little drummer boy.” *gasp* Did he say something? I turned to Mr. Van Riemsdijk and he laid his hands to his chest attempting a “wai”. Oh my god, the old cow got me! Don't "wai" me here! But he did.

In stunned silence, I said: “Sir, I’m not going to ask why you are in such situation but… I would like to help if you let me.”

I could tell the old man was trying hard to control his emotions but he eventually broke down. He cried like a little boy. He told me everything what happened to him and I thought it would be poor taste if I publish it here. The man fell down in life and hit rock bottom -- I thought it would be proper to let him keep his dignity.

Mr. Van Riemsdijk is in the next room as of press time, resting. I invited him to stay over for a few days. I took him shopping for a few new clothes and his tickets are already arranged to fly back to Belgium where he don’t have to beg in the streets.

*deep sigh* What do you know? – After more than 15 years, I met my childhood tyrant again…

Did this little drummer boy got his revenge?


Nah. Maybe next time.




Add to Technorati Favorites

23 Comments:

Bangkok Foodie said...

Nice of you to take the high road. I respect you for that and remember good things happen to good people, so you are due one now (or maybe a few).

Sanne Dee said...

How bizarre. Luckily he met someone who could help him.

Misterhubs said...

Aaw. All's well that end's well. Kindness can sometimes be the best revenge.

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

@ Jeff...have you been leaving comments here before? Y'know what? I thought you were "Jeff" -- my Thai friend who's not confident about his English that's why he rarely leave comments here. And all of a sudden, good English!

I thought he was you! -- So, it's another Jeff, eh? Or the 2nd Jeff who was upset when I said Imelda Marcos was fabulous? :-)

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

@ Sanne...I'm glad I finished the story on the 3rd installment. I got soooo much to tell about this incident. Not too many people meet somebody after 15 years considering his impact to my life.

I think I'm the lucky one. I would have been a doomed rockstar-on-crack! :-)

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

@ Misterhubs...:-) You got a point there. But no, the revenge is not up yet. Hahahahaha.

Anonymous said...

After reading this article and being a little bit inebriated now in a nondescript town in Ceduna, South Australia (the last major town on the Great Australian Bite before the vast emptiness of the nullarbor on my way to Perth!!!), I can honestly say, I really you like you. I am deeply touched and salute you for your humanity!!!

From someone who thought his heart is made of stone...

Anonymous said...

One should not kick someone when he/she is down. It is good that you have resisted the temptation to do so. I believe in karma so your good deed will be returned.

Bangkok Foodie said...

Yep I've left comments here before and no I'm not Thai but I do live and work here. I left the comments about the 2 tier pricing system among others.

혜현 said...

probably a case of what goes around comes around.

And how many languages to you speak anyway?

travelphilippines said...

Thats The Greates Revenge ever.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kudos to you. I think it is fantastic that you treated him well. Not many people would have found the strength of character and the capacity to forgive, like you did.

Cheers
Sam

Xanderj said...

i agree with misterhubs

God bless Pisanu! more power to your blog ;)

conan_cat said...

oh my... i wonder what happened to your teacher until he had to become like that... maybe he's a bit too blind on spotting good (and talented) people and eventually got into trouble i guess... sounds like a real sad case. :( take good care of him ya... hope he will get back some life in belgium... he has family there??

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

@ Jessekuma...I believe that all people are kind. Only circumstances and self-preservation make them build a facade to make them look like tough. I appreciate your kind words.

@ Nam and Jeff...I won't be expecting a return because I already have a good life. I'm just giving it back.

@ Manami...what goes around comes around, one of the golden rule in life. I speak 7 languages fluently plus 3 survival. Whattabout you?
:-)

@ Sam...whoa! Are you a new reader?!! This is your first comment and I would like to let you know it's appreciated and always welcome. Forgiving is like being kind to ourselves :-)

@ Travel...hey! I still don't know your name!

@ Xanderj...Awwwww! Thanks dude!

@ Conan...Belgium takes care of their citizens. About his family, they're all gone.

aries said...

everytime you'd post something like this, it always change my image of you... into a child.

혜현 said...

@Pisanu: I can only speak three languages fluently, namely Japanese, English and Chinese, (*slightly embarrassed) plus a wee bit of Korean and Thai.

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

@ Manami...I wanna learn Japanese and Mandarin but my brain can't take anymore of new languages. I don't know, no matter how I try.

Mine is Francais, English, Castellano, Portugues, Deutsch, Thai and Catalan. Speak, read and write.

I also speak Filipino, Bahasa Melayu and Hindi...but when I read 'em, it gives me headache. LOL. But I pretty much understand what I hear.

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you guys. I am struggling to learn the third language-Thai...Dont know how you guys manage it.

Qtheconqueror said...

Pisanu, you're a God. 7+3!? I can barely manage 3 languages + a smattering of a fourth!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Pisanu. *bows*

Sorry for the late comment, I just read this story. But come off it man, admit it, you're a softie deep down inside! Haha!

Nevertheless, this was revenge indeed, and the best kind, IMHO! *stands up and applauds*

And oh, its two months till Christmas!
...Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum, Our new born King to see, Pa rum pum pum pum...

Anonymous said...

treat an enemy with respect.. how noble..

Anonymous said...

Why don't you speak Dutch? Sorry to ask but are you a Walloon? I would really like to know what happened to him

Related Posts with Thumbnails