SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

THE LOST IRISHMAN

Phnom Penh, Cambodia -- I was having my morning latte at the coffee shop next to my hostel. I was eagerly waiting to meet Arunny, our Cambodian blog mate who strangely speaks English in a Louisiana accent. *I didn’t believe she was actually Cambodian until I personally met her* Anyways...


I was watching the people go by and closely observing how the Cambodians drive their motorcycles when a Caucasian with an Irish accent came by…obviously a backpacker…

“Hello, how’re you doing?” he said taking his big bag off his back.

“Good morning. How are you?” I smiled. “You seem lost dude.” I added.

“Yes, maybe you can help me. I was walking all morning trying to find the Cambodian Embassy.”

*me, staring blankly* A slip of the tongue? I wasn’t quite sure I heard his last words but I think he is lost – R E A L L Y L O S T ! – So I didn’t reply, pretending I didn’t hear him.

He lit a ciggie and said “I want to go back to Thailand for a couple of days and I am looking for the Cambodian Embassy to apply for a visa. So when I come back here, I won’t have a problem.”

Hmm…seems like he knows where he is anyway. I continued observing him because I really don’t know how to answer his question.

So I asked “You from Ireland?”

“Yes.” He was beaming with pride.

“Is there any Irish Embassy IN Ireland?” my left eyebrow started to rise. If he answers “no” then he answered his own question; if he answers “yes” – then we are both in deep sh*t…

“YES.”

OMG…I don’t’ wanna laugh out loud. Brad Pitt in Snatch and Tom Cruise in Far And Away clearly depicts Irishmen with exceptional boxing skills! So I kept it to myself – but what am I gonna do? I really wanna help this poor guy out…

“Alright dude, here’s the deal…” I looked directly to his eyes. “They moved the Cambodian Embassy to Bangkok a couple of months ago…so maybe you should try and get your visa there?” *my hands were shaking, ready to run...*

The Irishman gave me the look, stood up, took his big bag to his back and said “Just my luck. They should’ve kept the embassy here. After all, this is Cambodia…thanks for the help.” Then off he went.

Well I’ll be damned.


****


You liked this post? - Subscribe to BISEAN.

11 Comments:

jellygene said...

OMG! That Irish bloke must have drowned himself in Guinness. tsk!tsk!

Anonymous said...

duh!

Anonymous said...

Nyahahahahaaha! Nyahahahahaa! By god, the people you meet! LOL

Anonymous said...

Your post cracked me up. Is it true that there is an Irish Embassy in Ireland? He must have been out of his mind.

Quentin X said...

Must be his first day backpacking. Cracks me up.

gorjess said...

hahaha i wanna meet him...

Anonymous said...

whaaa... he sure about the irish embassy in ireland?

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! St. Patrick bless that guy, he needs some special watching over! LOL.

I love the eyebrow thingy you always do, I can just imagine it now. LOL. Its like its got a mind of its own! Haha!

Arunny Chantou said...

I had a wonderful time yesterday and thank you for meeting me. I am still in awe! See you tomorrow Biseaners!

Unknown said...

Philippine Embassy in Manila. LOL.

Anonymous said...

yes...there is an Irish Embassy in Ireland...

Related Posts with Thumbnails