SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Thursday, October 04, 2007

HOW TO SAY “I MISS YOU” IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Ok, here we go – you already made it to the first base, made it through the hot yet awkward “I love you” stage *eww!*, but you have to go back to your home country and leave your sweetheart for a while.

Although the English “I miss you” would almost certainly melt them, saying it in their own language would definitely blow them off their feet.

If you’re a girl (or feel like a girl) and you wanna say “I miss you” to a Cambodian boy; you say "Oun nirk bong". Or if you’re the boy, you say "Bong nirk oun". I’m not sure if “Bong nirk bong” is acceptable. LOL

You say “Saya rindu kamu” in Indonesiait won’t matter if you’re a boy of girl, it’s the same. You can also say “Saya kangen kamu”, “Aku rindu kamu”, or “Aku rindu kepadamu”. Just remember the last “a” of Saya is soft like [sayuh].

You can say it two ways in Burmese: one is "thadi-ya-dal" which can be used by both friends and between couples. Another one is "lwan dal" which is more lovey-dovey version of I Miss You.*

They say “Khoi kuedhod chao de” in Laos. They often use this and other terms of endearment because as far as I know, the Laotians are the most romantic lovers in our region.

In Malaysia and Brunei, they say "Saya rindu awak". And it’s “Wo xiang ni” (我 想 你) in Singapore. Remember that these 3 countries share the same languages at the most. How do you say it in Tamil, by the way?

Tôi Nhớ Bạn” is “I miss you” in Vietnam. This is used for both male and female. Or if you’re the boy, you say “Anh Nhớ Em” to a girl and if you’re the girl, you say “Em Nhớ Anh” to a boy.

You say “Miss kita” or “Miss na kita” in the Philippines. You’ll notice that half of it is the English “miss”; if you wanna go real deeper, you say “Sabik na sabik na ako sa iyo.” -- which literally means “I’m really excited to see you.”

'Kid theung' (คิดถึง) means 'miss' in Thailand. We say “Kid theung ter na' khrap” or change “khrap” to “kha” if you’re a girl (always remember that “kha” is for female speakers, “khrap” is for male speakers). If you wanna make it sound giggly sweet, use “ja” instead of the “kha” or “khrap”.


There you gothe follow up phrase to “I love you”. These can also be an excellent alternative if you’re an insensitive a**hole who cannot say the words “I love you”. *yes, I'm referring to myself so, get off me*

The effort to try to speak their language with the most intimate words is guaranteed to win their hearts, blow their mind and make you “unforgettable” to them.

Now get that mobile phone and send a text message. Try it now!


****

*Thanks to Dawn of Yangon!

Related articles: How to say...

*I Love You
*F*ck You
*The G Word


You liked this post? - Subscribe to BISEAN.

14 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very useful. Thanks for the post guys.

Anonymous said...

Of course! "Bong Nirk Bong" can't be possible.

The word "bong", which literally means elder brother or sister, means a boyfriend or husband in this context. Even if in the context of same sex couples, it remains acceptable to say "Bong Nirk Oan" or "Oan Nirk Bong", depending on who wanna be what. Lol.. :p "Oan nirk bong, bong pisanu!" LMAO!!!

Taga Pagsulat said...

Hi,

Appreciate your warm welcome. I really enjoy posting and reading stuff on United Sea.

Again Thank you.

Sugarkurls

Qtheconqueror said...

People who say "Sabik na sabik ako sa yo" usually mean it in a more... sexual (?) manner. That's why its rarely used. It'd sound really wrong for a friend to say that to another friend, although if you say that to your sweetheart... :)

Anonymous said...

Did you check out the copycat blog I told you? By god, the nerve!

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

@ Carrie...hello my friend. Thanks for a wonderful time in Manila. See ya soon.

@ Mongkol...wakakakaka! That's funny. Hey! We'll visit Phnom Penh in a few weeks! You miss home, dontcha?

@ Sugar...*wink wink*

@ Q... LOL. But technically it really means "I miss you", yeah? I would choose it over "nangungulila ako sa yo." *smirk*

@ Andrea...yes, I did. But I won't say anything about it. Well, what can I do? Let Sofia do the talking when she finds out.

gorjess said...

i love how they say it in singapore its the easiest. hehe

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Wish I were in Cambodia, or we would be able to meet up. Have a blast there, and share with me your stories late.

P.S.: Say hi to Cambodia for me too. :) I miss home..

khalel said...

Please excuse for posting this one here...

Pisanu, Sofia and Morgan:

Thank you so much for all the support!

And guys, no need for retraction,
You are of course part of my link: MY DAILY [B]READ under THE BISEAN

I think river would be needing to wear his glasses.... lolz!

Cheers You Guys!

diwata said...

whoaaa that is so deep man... sabik na sabik na ako lol.

Qtheconqueror said...

@ River - LOL! Nangungulila... Actually you can use that when you feel like dramatizing your plight to a friend...

"Nangungulila ako dito... Samahan mo naman ako" (I'm very lonely here and I feel so alone, Come join me"

Haha.

အရုဏ်ဦး said...

you can say it two ways in Burmese: one is "thadi-ya-dal" which can be used by both friends and between couples. Another one is "lwan dal" which is more lovey-dovey version of I Miss You. ^_^

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

OMG Dawn! Thank god you're alright! I was waiting for your blog to update so I'll know you're ok!

Guys...meet Dawn! (again) The brave girl from Yangon. Say hi to her.

PriMaster said...

for bahasa Indonesia, you can always use "banget" for almost every words. For instance "Saya Rindu Banget sama Kamu" in English it will be "I really miss you". Or if you want to be more "Gaul" or Hip in English you can say "Gue kangen banget deh sama lo" it also mean "I really miss you"

Related Posts with Thumbnails