SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Monday, December 24, 2007

OUR CHRISTMAS TREES

Well, we all know that Christmas time has evolved into something like not really exclusive to a Christian holiday any longer. I think we already know that.

From Yangon to Jakarta. From Manila to Bangkok and even Kuala Lumpur to Hanoi…Christmas trees are everywhere!

If not because of the “disguised” trees… I say "disguised" because you can’t tell if it’s a tree if not because of its shape -- I can easily say we are celebrating the Raya or Deepavali or even Chinese New Year. Argh! What’s with us and trees and twinkling lights? Fetish? Ha!

Here are some Christmas Trees in our region…








It is also interesting to note that these last photos are taken in a market in Yangon and a sidewalk in Phnom Penh. Their simplicity balances the overly-ostentatious ones from other cities. But all of them are, of course, lovely.

MERRY CHRISMAS EVERYBODY!

สุขสันต์วันคริสตร์มาส



****

9 Comments:

Jake said...

I like the Christmas Tree from Vietname. So unique. It stood out of the rest.

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

Jake! It's actually made of beer cans! Awesome, isn't it? I think it's Heineken or Carlsberg. Hahah!

Anonymous said...

Gee, I have to visit BISEAN to see some REALLY big Christmas trees!

They are all awesome!

Then leave it to jet setting wunder boy Pisanu to like the pictures of the littlest trees!

Don't believe him....he loves the biggest and brightest ones! :)

Merry Christmas!

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

Mr. C (Tao)...nope. I really like the small ones because it takes less time to look at 'em. Unlike those HUMONGOUS trees...it would take at least 30 minutes for me to note each and every detail. ;-) I'm starting to feel you really know me, Mr. C. Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Pisanu,

Why not post some pictures of Christmas trees in Brussels and contrast them with those from this post....

I believe Singapore beats anything in Brussels...

I also want to know how many Ex Pats it took in Vietnam to drink that many beers to make that tree in Vietnam?

Unknown said...

Hope you all had a wonderful Xmas! I love that blue one, amazing colours! As usual the pictures are stunning! Just out of curiosity which one of you is the photographer? :)

Wishing you a happy New Year from the other side of the globe ;)

Anonymous said...

Pretty trees, Actually there are Christmas trees everywhere in Ochard Road and I hate going there for Christmas shopping, I ended up screaming at the people cos they walk so friggin slow!

rick said...

hope to see a new post about christmas trees for this year!

i wonder how each ASEAN countries decorate there trees for 2008.

im lovin it! actually i already love it...lol

peace y'all *wink

Nico said...

the one from vietnam is made of cans!?! wow, i wonder how many cans are in there...a great recycling campaign though if they're empty. if not, then let's drink later (whoops, I forgot I need to drink in moderation--dont wanna get itchy :/)

Related Posts with Thumbnails