SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Friday, September 21, 2007

HUNTING DOWN AN IP ADDRESS:
Would you do it?

Have you ever wondered why we never turn this blog into a “hey-I’m-a-celebrity-buy-my-T-shirt!” blog? Or a “this-blog-is-about-me!-me!-me!”? Let me tell you why…

A couple of years ago, we used to have a blog-like website all dedicated to everything about our personal lives. We post what we shop for, what we eat, our new hairstyles, where we go and just about everything that we do.

One day, there was this audacious group of people who started using our pics, our names and totally assumed our identities to roam about on the Internet. A guy used Pisanu’s name and photos on community forums and another girl used mine just the same. Morgan, Sucre and Farah weren’t spared too.

We wouldn’t have discovered it until the hate mails started pouring in. The guy got hold of our numbers, our addresses from the blog and started stalking us. We deleted our website altogether.

Let me ask you; what would a person (like me)
with all the time and money, do?


We hired the best detectives in town to track down those fools. He gave us the latest state-of-the-art web tracking gizmos while he gathered information about the people doing it to us. When we catch them 2 years ago, I made sure the guy (a non-Thai) is blacklisted in Thailand and the girl would never land a job all her life.

Now here’s the situation…since the start of this blog last March, we have collected the IP addresses of people who have left insults, verbal assaults and outright attacks. Names, addresses, police records, everything! I just want to make sure we are not dealing with the same people. I once posted the names and addresses of people who are doing outright ridicule of our blog last July.

AND HERE'S ANOTHER KICKER: (since my co-author won't say anything) ...
2 of our blog links got the same IP Address with people who leaves hate comments and insults on this blog. Now, talk about audacity!

If not because of Pisanu’s stupid principle of “let it go”, I would have showed up on these people’s doors and give them a nice slapping.

I want to ask you…As a blogger who would do everything to protect your most beloved blog (and yourself!) and you got the IP Addresses and informations of the people winding you up…what would you do?





--Sofia

23 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sofia. I'm not sure about the time and money, but if I do have it, yes I will.

Anonymous said...

I dont have a blog but the thought of hunting down a troublesome guy is exciting.

Anonymous said...

If its just rude comments and anonymous insults, I will not do anything about it. Not worth the time.

Anonymous said...

you betcha i would!

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I find this post a bit funny. I have seen that post about those people who was making fun of your blog and it shocked me, to be honest.

But if I had the chance, given the situation, I would try to track them down.

Anonymous said...

I will not do it. Even if I have the time and money, its not worth it.

Anonymous said...

No. I will not do it. Because those people are sick in the brain and you know what they say to those who choose to deal with them. So I will not.

Anonymous said...

YES! I WOULD GIVE THEM A NICE SLAPPING TOO! LOL

Anonymous said...

Don't stoop down honey. But if it's a stalker, it's reasonable.

TAO said...

Having read your blog daily for the last few months I have no earthly clue why anyone would send you hurtful comments; your site is informative, knowledgeable, humourous, and tasteful.

It may be for that reason (jealously) that someone would be angry at you. I would just block their IP addresses and move on. To retaliate would just escalate the hateful emails and I believe that you two have better things to do with your time!

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

I told you NOT to read the comments until Grant had cleaned it up! You simply won't listen. Now you're spilling the beans out! *sigh*

Kit said...

i think that intolerant idiots have no place anywhere, least of all in blogs or blog communities. it is so sad that for the majority of us who play by the rules and generally nice to everyone has to be extra careful because of a few thugs who want to piss in our sandbox.

혜현 said...

I would totally do the same. I mean, what if someone uses my identity and 'promotes' me as a slut?

diwata said...

If I were you, I am going to skin that person alive and throw him/her at some rubbing alcohol river wehehehe!

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

Go get 'em honey! You're a woman after my own heart. Then again, one must learn to forgive and forget. I don't now what faults anyone can find about your blog. It's very thorough, balanced, and well-written. Don't worry about those who insult and malign you. Don't waste time on them.
Stay Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Sofia!!! Let me know as soon as you find out who the deceitful and ungrateful lowlife owners of those links and I'll give them a dose of Derek's "How VERY Dare You!" from Catherine Tate..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfdsNNJ7vls...LOL!!!

Seriously now, I'd probably feel ropeable if I were you, but you have to make sure it is really the same individual whose leaving the comment as the owner of the blog.

Plus you don't want to appear vindictive to some ignorant lowlife scumbag do you?

Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide to do and fill me up on the finer details if you do decide to act on it. Make sure the payback is original. As the saying goes Vengeance is a dish best served COLD! MWAHAHAHAHA !!!!

aries said...

aah the prize of fame...

Sofia for BiSEAN said...

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm loving it. Now that I'm in Manila, let the games begin! LOL

Thad said...

We can't please everybody- that's a lesson I learned the hard way many months ago when a nasty person left hurtful comments on my blog (he/she was posing to be different persons but the IP address was the same). As much as I tried to do my best and keep my blog well written and careful not to malign or hurt anyone, the "troll" (a term they use for that nasty bunch) called it "crap" and made a lot of personal attacks.

I was pissed, of course, but I just learned to be the bigger person. I'm not stupid to allow that to happen again, hence I started to moderate comments and removed my Cbox.

What you sow is what you reap, and I'm sure those people who spread negativity will get a dose of their own medicine. I agree with you, people on the net should have manners and respect each other.

Don't worry because you are not alone in this, even bloggers like Misterhubs had that nuissance as well. Oh well, probably trolls have nothing better to do with their time. What is important is that you love what you do and you have a following. That counts more in my book = )

Sofia for BiSEAN said...

Hello Phoenix. Thanks for the comment. It's very insightful. Me and Pisanu was talking about your blog earlier...he said he remembers you we're linked to us once before? You're on of the first links of BISEAN! We're sorry we lost link up. We -relinked you, sweetie. <3

Anonymous said...

i agree with sofia...i'm all about security measures

but Pisanu said Grant tracked my IP and it said that i am from The Philippines... great god.. i have never even stepped on that land...

you guys may wanna check out the whole system again...

i love this blog though in my opinion some parts might sound a lil' bit vain... not like it's a bad thing though....

Anonymous said...

Hey Sof, Well at least then you'll have you time well spent hunting down all your admirers turned jealous bitches Lol

Anonymous said...

if i'm a blogger, i'll do the most intelligent thing: NOT POSTING PERSONAL INFORMATION.

i'm right, am i not? in that way, i'll avoid future bullying of those kind of peeps you posted.

but if the same thing happened to me like what happened to you guys, i would've done the same thing. unfortunately, i'm not a selfish rich brat. so i can't really do it even if i want to.

Related Posts with Thumbnails