SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

MALAYSIA'S FIRST COSMONAUT, NOT ASTRONAUT!

A few hours from now (9.22pm ACT), a Malaysian doctor will be launched to orbit making him the first Malaysian in space. Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor was chosen from 11,275 Malaysians from all walks of life who had applied for the program in 2003.

He is an Orthopaedic Surgeon, a lecturer at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia and *hold your breath* a part time model. I think Malaysia made sure that their first spaceman is a pretty face! When I first saw this news last June with the Final 4, I was pretty sure who will they pick. *the first Malaysian spaceman HAS to be handsome lor*

The hunky, tall and extremely photogenic Shukor will board the Russian Soyuz spacecraft from Kazakhstan straight to the International Space Station and will stay in orbit for a couple of days. As the Russians are the ones who sent him up there, Shukor will be recognized as a “cosmonaut” NOT an “astronaut”, capice? (the Americans do the Astronaut thingy)

Who was the very first Southeast Asian in space? -- The first Southeast Asian AND the very first ASIAN in space is Phạm Tuân of Vietnam. He was launched to orbit on 23 July 1980 and stayed there for 7 days 20 hrs 42 mins and completed 142 orbits.


Our spacemen – Our pride!
Congratulations, Malaysia!


****

**One of our silent link, who got impressive taste and artsy élan, suggested we should feature Shukor in our Perfect Specimen series. Although he is indeed a hottie, he’s not biracial. =) Supercow, we utterly love you.

You liked this post? - Subscribe to BISEAN.

22 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Some guys have all the luck!

And he is even a colleague in the profession! :) Awesome!

Tahniah! Kudos to Malaysia!

Sofia for BiSEAN said...

He's so manly and a hottie too! How come I never see him around KL? Let me wlak around longer next time.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Malaysia. That was a good pick. Can I have my "pasalubong" from the outer space? An alien will do.

Sanne Dee said...

A perfect package with brains and looks from Malaysia! I'm so proud of your cosmonaut. :)

I think they actually came up with a damn thick 'rule' book as to how he should do his muslim prayers everyday in the outer space!

Anonymous said...

He is HOT! OMG! Part Time Model and a Doctor, and now the first Southeast Asian to conquer space? I drool over him! I WANT HIM! Lol!

Sofia for BiSEAN said...

Oh, AJ sweetie. Aren't you that guy with a podcast? LOL. I heard you while Pisanu was listening to it. You sound like a rookie DJ honey, but better. We will find more photos of Shokar for you.

Sanne sweet sis, you're schedule is confusing us all. We had an emergency meeting when you changed your trip to Bangkok to the last week of November. You naughty you! <3

Thanks for the comments Reyville and sexy Carlos *wink wink/

savante said...

I think he's slightly mixed somewhere in the family tree. Definitely!

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

Dr Paul! How are you?...really? he's kinda mixed lor? tell us more!

Unknown said...

Hi Sofia, Yup, that's me. A little bit trying too hard aren't I? Lol!

Sanne Dee said...

Hahahah Sofia! Why emergency meeting? Planning to kidnap me or something? :)

Macky said...

yeah, he's a hottie. Congrats to Malaysia! It's a triumph for all of us Asians...

Anonymous said...

@ Sofia: I just saw your reply to me, sorry. Aww... :-* There, I sure hope that makes up for it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pisanu and Sofia. I love your site! I admire you for making a conscious effort to make our region known to the rest of the world.

Thanks for the post and the sweet words too. Too bad Mr. Shukor ain't bi-racial though. :(

More Power!

- supercow

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey,

Hmmm i think this hottie is probably biracial though maybe not Eurasian....

His name is quite a giveaway actually. 'Sheikh' is a title often used by the Arab nobles and wealthy North Indian traders, given to every male member of the family.

Here in Malaysia though, for political (and economic) reasons, the Muslims with Arab, Indian, Pakistani, Persian and etc heritage routinely officially classify themselves as Malays so as to gain 'bumiputera' priviliges and assimilate into the malay community.

Hence, I wouldnt be surprised if he actually really is biracial. But yeah it'll be tough to proof unless u track down his family tree...


PS: There is talk around (KL) town that he may be bi....YAY!

Anonymous said...

Cateyes, I believe he is bi. Where did you hear your scoop? I got mine from his fellow at UKM Hospital. As you know in our society, most men really swing from left to right once in a while. ;)

Anonymous said...

hanifa, i got my juicy bit from someone working in Seremban Hosp but there's been lotsa chatter elsewhere too, try Google. Haha, really? most men in our society swing from left to right? Hmmmm i wonder why none have swung into my arms then =P

Anonymous said...

At Cateyes again::: Wakakakakaka! Really? Keep those arms open and open it wide! I got another juicy bit for you too.

One of my girlfriend spotted a picture of him with his alleged effff buddy. She recognized the guy from a private party together with Shuk-shuk-baby.

Now what we are waiting for is for this effff buddy to kiss and tell. I hope he do it sooner! I cant wait!

I really fancy bi men. They are better in.......you know where. Wakakaka!

Anonymous said...

>>>Cateyes and Hanifa>> LOL. I can imagine you 2 are out on a day-with-the-girls having your nails done and exchanging gossips! LOL. Sweet cute!

Unknown said...

And he is bi? He he he he.... time to ring my connections in KL. hehehehehe.

Anonymous said...

and malaysia spent billions to send the idiot to space? use it for better dorms in public unis lah. Pray and fast and celebrate raya in the ISS, what's so great? 3 billion can repair the potholes at the road behind my house. a better purpose than sending an idiot good-looking homosexual to space. duh~

Anonymous said...

Damn that Anonymous needs some hard spanking. He's bi? That's so hot. I would do him! Pronto
@Sofia, he owns a restaurant or something if I am not wrong. You can go there and wait till he comes

D' said...

if i'm not wrong, his restaurant called 'Rebung'

Related Posts with Thumbnails