SOUTHEAST ASIAN BLOGGERS NETWORK

Saturday, June 21, 2008

MY NOSY HOUSEKEEPERS

Most of you may not knowMalaysia, Singapore and Thailand are big importers of Nepali migrant workers. They take mean jobs like sweepers, fast food servers, domestics and others. But they take pride with what they do.

Two of my housekeepers in Bangkok are Nepalese. They have been with me for the longest time and god knows they are the best household workers in the whole dang world *although not the best cooks, that's for sure*

When they knew I was going to Nepal, dinner suddenly got tasty!

“Amrita, what did you put in my chicken curry?” I said without looking at her minding my pleasant dish.

Amrita rushed out of the dining room without answering me. Seconds later, she was tagging Panya…”P’Dekdek?”

I hate it when they call me that. “Pee” in Thai is like older big brother and “dek-dek” is a small little kid – so, which is which?! Godammit!

They must’ve got it from my mom when she calls me “dek-dek” and Amrita and Panya just added the “pee” for respect, I guess. BUT IT DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE! Ha!

Anyways, they didn’t answer my question about dinner but they posed their own question instead

“P’Dekdek, *argh! I hate it!*when are you going to Kathmandu?”

“Ahhh! Checking out my mails again huh?” I said to myself. I didn’t answer them. And how did they know???

“P’Dekdek, is it okay if I send a package to my family?” Panya said, Amrita pinched her at the back. “…and Amrita too.” She continued with unsure smile.

“Ahhh! That’s why dinner suddenly is tasty, isn’t it?” I said again quietly. Now I know.

Isn’t it against the law to carry packages for others? Especially if you have to take the plane? How would I know what’s in the package? Open it secretly? Do I fucken look like a fucken UPS man? Huh! What if they frame me up? Wait! Why would they frame me up? Waaaahhh! – Questions rushing through my head. My brain's yellin' I D O N T W A N N A A A A A!!!

Awkward silence. The sound of cutlery against my china is unbearable to the three of us…

“But you’re not from Kathmandu.” I said with concern. Hoping they would stop this non-sense...

“Yes we are!” they said in chorus. “Our families would meet you at the airport in Kathmandu on Wednesday morning. Please give the packages to them. Thank you!” then both of ‘em rushed out of the room without my reply.


“WELL I’LL BE DAMNED. They even knew my flight schedule?


****


12 Comments:

Jerick said...

nice post you got in here dekdek.
filipinos love to do tnat, be the "courier" for others when traveling to somewhere, especially when going back home or going to the States.
by the way, i could almost imagine the whole situation. there was dead air for a couple of minutes while they were waiting for your reply.
it would have been wise if you checked all their stuff out. i hope they weren't as heavy as a filipino balikbayan box!
just wondering, were they speaking in thai?

Anonymous said...

haha... do them a favor and i think it's just a small package

Anonymous said...

Ah! You're revealing it little by little. Including their names. Why don't you tell the readers how many 'servants' you have per one city? lol

I like this post. I can identify. We Flips love to do this too.

Anonymous said...

so, how's your kathmandu stint coming?

Anonymous said...

Coolness, Pee. So did u end up bringing their packages?

Anonymous said...

hahah.. approve without thinking..

Fable Frog said...

wah haha~ i think all this is so cute!!

Erique Fat Owl said...

Wow, this is news to me. What is exactly happening in Thailand, shortage of domestic workers? Why do you need to import workers from Nepal?

I know that Indonesia has a lower GDP Per capita (compared to Thailand), but realistically speaking, prosperity level in Indonesia and Thailand isn't that much different. How come we have truckloads of people willing to work as domestic helpers, but not the Thais?

I can understand for Singapore and Malaysia - they're more developed and industrialized than Indonesia or Thailand, but I wouldn't imagine that less and less Thais are willing to become domestic workers in Thailand.

I mean, what about those villagers? Don't they want to move to Bangkok and get some work?

Anonymous said...

Nope, Enrique. For some reason, the time has changed.

And for some reason, Thai domestic workers "prefers" working for expats nowadays.

My housekeepers from the Philippines are getting really expensive too. But they are well-trained. Too smart to be domestics, actually.

But for the past 2 years, I prefer the Nepalis and the Ceylonese.

PUPoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You should consider it a simple act of kindness. Imagine being away from your family for a long time? And sending them a small package (let's say a box of chocolates for the children) will definitely put smiles to their family's faces back home. They would love you more for that. Housekeepers are your secret keepers. You should be nice to them. What you did was totally great. Aside from your cursing. lol.

Anonymous said...

we had a helper back then from indonesia. he's really good. he cooks well. he knows reflexology. he's really good in everything especially witchcraft so my father fired him and his cousin. o_O

Related Posts with Thumbnails